The upcoming ACPA Convention allows each of us to connect and learn from one another in very impactful ways. Each of us can create our own customized convention experience, but sometimes this can be haphazard and without little or any thought behind how we determine what to do while there. I would like to suggest that you follow a professional development “scavenger hunt” to get the most out of your convention experience. By following this scavenger hunt, you will be able have some concrete goals going into the convention that can further develop your career rather than simply catching up with old friends and attending interesting sessions.
1. Attend a technology-related session and jot down ideas of how you can incorporate session lessons into your department.
2. Meet a new colleague from a different region of the country and make plans to check in on each other throughout the year via phone, email, or social media.
3. Attend a session in an area or topic unrelated to your department and attempt to collaborate with colleagues from that area when you return to campus related to the information you learned.
4. Lend some help by signing up to volunteer for one of various functional areas throughout the convention.
5. Go to a Commission meeting and plan to participate regularly in their activities and discussions throughout the year.
6. Purchase a book from the available publisher on the convention floor and share its content when returning to campus.
7. Meet a younger colleague and offer to mentor them with your experience.
8. Tweet from a session to share its content with your followers and those who are not at the convention.
9. Talk to at least one of the session presenters and offer to collaborate on a project together.
10. Take random brainstorming notes to prepare for presenting a session for next year’s convention.
Good luck with the professional development scavenger hunt. Enjoy your convention experience!